Wood - There is No Substitute
- It takes nine times more energy to produce a steel stud as it does to produce a comparable wood stud.
- It takes five times more energy to produce aluminum siding rather than wood siding.
- It takes three times more energy to extract and produce a concrete block than to produce its equivalent weight of wood.
- Producing a 4” concrete slab floor requires 21 times more energy than producing a wood deck.
- Wood has 413 times the resistance to heat transfer of steel, 2000 times that of aluminum and 8 times that of concrete.
- A steel frame building uses 4000 times more coal, oil, and natural gas to process than wood.
- Aluminum production results in 8 times the air emissions and 300 times the water emissions of lumber production.
- The production of concrete emits 2 to 3 times more carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons than the production of lumber.
- Totally biodegradable wood waste accounts for only 7% of the volume of U.S. landfills. Totally NON-biodegradable plastics account for 25% to 30% of landfill space.
- Wood is the only readily renewable natural resource and it is increasing in reserves every year.
- The total volume of wood growing in the U.S. is 25% greater today than it was in 1952.
- Even steel containing 60% recycled material consists of 40% virgin material that was mined from the earth and cannot be replaced.
- The synthetic materials industries (plastic, vinyl, etc.) rely on oil and natural gas for 98% of their raw materials, and the World Resources Institute estimates reserves of natural gas will last only 58 years at 1988 production rates.
Choose Wisely - Choose Wood
The Timbermen, Inc.
P.O. Box 107, Camak, Georgia 30807